Luggage servicesDefinition of luggageLuggage means some necessary articles and other personal belongings that passengers carry for dress, use, comfort and convenience during their travel, including checked luggage and unchecked luggage unless otherwise specified.Articles not to be checked as luggageAccording to civil aviation regulations, the following items shall not be checked as luggage or included in luggage (including checked luggage and unchecked luggage), nor be brought into passenger cabin as free carry-on items.
1. Dangerous goods
Dangerous goods mean prohibited substances, controlled goods and hazardous substances according to State regulations, including explosives, gases, flammable liquids, flammable solids, spontaneous combustible substances, substances that tend to give off flammable gas during their contact with water, oxidants, organic peroxides, toxic substances, contagious substances, radioactive substances, corrosive substances, magnetic substances, substances that are anaesthetic or disgusting or similar substances, items that easily pollute the aircraft, and other dangerous goods that shall not be transported as luggage according to SDA’s provisions.
2. Except sporting equipment accepted by SDA as checked luggage, firearms, toy guns of all kinds, gun-shaped lighters and other kinds of offensive weapons shall not be transported as luggag
3. Military equipment and police weapons.
4. Controlled knives.
5. Live animals except small animals, guide dogs and hearing dogs.
6. Other prohibited items stipulated by the State.Articles that shall not be transported as checked luggageThe following items that need special care shall not be consigned as checked luggage or included in checked luggage, and they shall be taken into the cabin as unchecked luggage or free carry-on items restrictions in packing, volume, and weight. SDA and its agent shall bear liability for any loss of or damage to the following things included in checked luggage, as if they were ordinary checked luggage.
1. Important documents, commercial documents and data.
2. Securities, currencies, drafts and jewelry.
3. Precious metals and products made thereof.
4. Antiques, calligraphic works and paintings.
5. Fragile and perishable items.
6. Samples, out-of-print printed matters or manuscripts.
7. Travelers’ certificates and keys.
8. Electronic products, digital products, cameras and their fittings, etc.
9. Mobile phones, walkmans, computer software and hardware, etc.
10. Medicines that shall be taken on a regular basis.Controlled substancesThe following articles can be checked as luggage only if they comply with SDA’s transportation requirements and after SDA’ approval is obtained.
1. Items such as precision instrument and electrical appliances shall be consigned as cargo. If they are transported as checked luggage, they shall be packed properly and their weight shall not be included in free luggage allowance.
2. Sporting equipment, including firearms and ammunition for sports purpose.
3. Small animals, guide dogs and hearing dogs.
4. Diplomatic mail and confidential documents.
5. Foldable wheelchairs or electric wheelchairs that will be used during air travel.
6. Sharp tools and blunt tools (kitchen knives, fruit knives, dinner knives, craft knives, lancets, scissors, steel files, iron wimbles, axes, short stick, hammers, etc.) other than controlled knives shall be treated as checked luggage but shall not be carried by passengers onboard.
7. Dry ice, alcoholic beverage, smoking sets, medicine and cosmetics needed by passengers during their trip. Refer to “Public Notice on the Prohibition of Carrying Liquids, Gels and Aerosols of Domestic Flights” for details.Public Notice on the Prohibition of Carrying Liquids, Gels and Aerosols of Domestic FlightsAccording to “Public Notice on the Prohibition of Carrying Liquids, Gels and Aerosols of Domestic Flights” (CAAC No. No.1), CAAC shall carry out restrictions on liquids carried by passengers on domestic flights and international flights as from May 1st 2007.
The following are the specific regulations:
1. Each passenger on a domestic flight in China may carry LAGs (liquid, gel and aerosol) (except alcoholics) with total volume of no more than 1L, and the portion in excess should be placed in checked luggage. LAGs shall not be carried into passenger cabin unless the containers are opened and checked.
2. The volume of one piece of LAG carried by any passenger taking an international or regional flight that departs from a Chinese airport shall not exceed 100 ml.
The vessel containing LAGs should be in a resealable and transparent plastic bag with the maximum volume of 1L (suggested size: 20cm*20cm). Each traveler is entitled to carry one transparent plastic bag, and the portion in excess should be put in checked luggage.
Any transparent plastic bag containing LAGs shall be checked separately.
If passengers on international and regional flights departing from a Chinese airport who transfer at a foreign airport buy LAGs at duty-free shops in terminal buildings or on the plane, they shall keep relevant receipts for verification. The items bought should be placed in sealed transparent plastic bags, which shall not be opened on one’s own. If such foreign airports have any special provisions on the carrying of duty-free LAGs, such provisions shall prevail.
This provision shall apply to passengers on an oversea flight who need to transfer to an international or regional flight if they carry LAGs. The duty-free LAGs they carry must be placed in an undamaged, sealed transparent plastic bag, and the purchase voucher must be present.
3. In CAAC’s flights in China, alcoholic items shall not be carried with passengers, but they may be transported as checked luggage. The package of alcoholic items shall accord with CAAC’s corresponding regulations.
4. Passengers accompanying infants carry liquid milk products and passengers suffering diabetes or other diseases may carry certain amount of such items, provided that the items pass security inspection.
5. Passengers shall be held responsible for any consequence incurred, such as failure to take the flight, if they violate any of the above regulations.Restrictions on luggage packing, volume and weight1. Checked luggage: it means the luggage put by passengers under the care of SDA during transportation and for which luggage claim tickets are filled and issued.
1) Packing of checked luggageChecked luggage shall be packed well, locked up and tied firmly to endure certain pressure and be suitable for safe loading and transport under normal operation condition, and the following requirements shall be met as well:
A. Suitcases, travel bags and handbags must be locked;
B. Two or more parcels shall not bundled into one;
C. Other items shall not be included in luggage;
D. Bamboo baskets, tuck nets, grass ropes, grass bags and the like shall not be used as external packaging of luggage.
E. Passenger name, detailed address and phone number shall be written on luggage.
2) Weight and volume of checked luggage
In flights executed by Boeing series, maximum weight of one piece shall not exceed 50kg, and maximum volume shall not exceed 40×60×100 cm.
2. Unchecked luggage: the luggage that shall be put in the care of the passenger with consent of SDA.
The weight of unchecked luggage is included in free luggage allowance. Each passenger may carry one piece of unchecked luggage with the weight of not more than 10kg. For any flight executed by Boeing series, the size of unchecked luggage shall not exceed 20×40×55 cm; for any flight executed by CRJ plane, the size shall not exceed 15×35×55 cm. The luggage shall be put under the seat in front of the passenger or within closed luggage rack.
3. Free carry-on items: small items that any passenger may carry onboard free of charge with consent of SDA.
The total weight of free carry-on items by each passenger shall not exceed 5 kg. Each passenger holding a first class ticket is entitled to two pieces; each passenger holding business class or economy class ticket is allowed only one piece. For any flight executed by Boeing series, the size of the said article shall not exceed 20×40×55 cm; for any flight executed by CRJ plane, the size shall not exceed 15×35×55 cm. Any carry-on item exceeding the said limitation in terms of weight, number or size shall be treated as checked luggage.Free luggage allowance and overweight luggage charge1. Free luggage allowance
A. Free luggage allowance (including checked luggage and unchecked luggage) for passengers holding adult tickets or children tickets:
Each passenger holding a first-class ticket: 40kg;
Each passenger holding a business-class ticket: 30kg
Each passenger holding an economy-class ticket: 20kg
No free luggage allowance is granted to any passenger holding an infant ticket.
B. If two or more passengers taking the same flight to the same destination conduct luggage check-in in the same place at the same time, their free luggage allowance may be calculated together according to their different ticket classes.
C. If passengers have their cabin class changed involuntarily, they shall enjoy free luggage allowance applicable to their previous fare class.
D. For domestic segment that constitutes part of international transportation, each passenger’s free luggage allowance shall be that applicable to international flight.
2. Overweight luggage charge
A. If the total weight of a passenger’s checked luggage and unchecked luggage exceeds the free luggage allowance, the portion in excess shall be deemed as overweight luggage, for which the passenger shall be charged.
B. When overweight luggage is charged, the passenger shall fill out and issue an excess luggage ticket.
C. Overweight luggage rate (for each kilogram) shall be 1.5% of economy class fare applicable on the date when the excess luggage ticket is filled out and issued, measured precisely to cent. The amount of total charge shall be measured precisely to Yuan, with the rounding method.Luggage declared value1. Passengers may declare the value of their luggage if the value of the value of checked luggage exceeds RMB100 per kg.
2. Declared value of checked luggage shall not exceed its true value. Maximum declared value is RMB 8,000 for each passenger. If SDA disputes a passenger’s declared value and the passenger refuses to have his/her luggage examined, SDA has the right to refuse to accept the luggage.
3. If a passenger’s declared value exceeds the limit specified in the first item, the passenger shall pay to SDA 5‰ of the portion in excess as declared value surcharge, which shall be measured precisely to Yuan with the rounding-off method.Transport of small animals1. Small animals refer to pets raised in households, such as dogs, cats and birds. Wild animals and strange-looking animals or animals that tend to attack humans are not regarded as small animals.
2. Notice on small animals’ transport
A. If any passenger intends to have small animals checked, he/she must state this need in booking seats, provide animal quarantine certificate and obtain SDA’s approval.
B. Passengers shall bring small animals to the airport and have them checked at the time specified by SDA on the day of travel.
C. Small animals checked by passengers shall be transported in cargo cabin.
D、The weight of small animals, their containers and food shall not be included in passengers’ free luggage allowance, but should be charged as overweight luggage.
E. The passenger shall take full responsibilities for small animals checked. SDA shall not be held liable for the sickness of, injury to and death of such animals during transportation, unless such event is caused by SDA.
3. Containers used for small animals shall comply with the requirements listed below.
A. They shall be able to prevent small animals from causing damage, fleeing, or stretching any part of their body out of the container, which might cause damage to people, luggage, cargo and aircraft.
B. They shall be able to guarantee sufficient space for small animals to stand up and move freely, enough air for such animals for fear of suffocation;
C. They shall be able to prevent the seepage of excrement, which might pollute the plane, onboard devices and other items.
4. Transportation of guide dogs and hearing dogs
This regulation is applicable to transportation of guide dogs and hearing dogs. Blind/deaf passengers may take guide dogs or hearing dogs to passenger cabin in line with SDA’s transport conditions. Guide dogs, hearing dogs together with their containers and food may be not excluded from free luggage allowance and be transported free of charge.Luggage violating regulationIf any passenger’s checked luggage, unchecked luggage or free carry-on items include prohibited goods, controlled goods or dangerous substances stipulated by State regulation, the whole luggage is called luggage violating regulation. SDA will dispose of such luggage according to the following provisions:
1. If luggage violating regulation is found at the place of departure, SDA is entitled to deny such transportation; if such luggage is checked, it is entitled to cancel such transport or transport the luggage with goods violating regulation taken out but the charge for overweight luggage not refunded.
2. If such luggage is found at the place of transfer, the transportation shall be immediately stopped with the charge for overweight luggage not refunded.
3. Prohibited goods, controlled goods or dangerous substances stipulated by State regulation that are contained in such luggage shall be handed in to competent departments for disposal.Return shipment of luggage1. If any passenger requests the return shipment of luggage at the place of departure, such request must be made before the luggage is loaded onto the aircraft. If the passenger has the ticket refunded, the checked luggage must be returned as well. For the above return shipment, the charge for overweight luggage shall be returned.
2. If any passenger requests the return shipment of luggage at the place of transfer, such request shall be satisfied unless there is no time for such handling. The fee for overweight luggage for unused legs of flight shall not be refunded.
3. During the return shipment of luggage with declared value, the paid surcharge for declared value shall be refunded at the place of departure, while such paid surcharge shall not be refunded at the place of transfer.
4. If passengers have to transfer to another flight due to SDA’s reason, luggage transportation shall be changed accordingly, and the collected overweight luggage charge will be refunded if it exceeds the actual cost but will not be refunded if it is below the cost. The paid surcharge for declared value shall not be refunded.Luggage delivery1. The passenger shall claim the luggage at the airport with identification coupon of luggage tag immediately after the flight arrives. If necessary, the passenger ticket shall be submitted for verification.
2. If any passenger fails to claim the luggage as soon as possible, SDA will charge the passenger for the custody of such luggage from the day after the arrival of the luggage. SDA is entitled to dispose of any deteriorating item contained in unclaimed luggage 24 hours after the arrival of the luggage.
3. SDA will deliver the luggage against the identification coupon of luggage tag and shall not be held liable for whether or not the person claiming the luggage is the passenger and for any loss or expense thus incurred.
4. After the delayed luggage arrives, SDA shall immediately notify passengers to claim or may send the luggage directly to the passengers. No custody charge will be collected for any delayed luggage.
5. If the passenger does not raise written dispute in claiming the luggage, this shall be deemed as initial proof that the luggage has been delivered intact according to transportation contract.
6. If any passenger loses the identification coupon of luggage tag, he/she shall immediately report such loss to SDA. If such passenger wants to claim the luggage, sufficient proof shall be provided to SDA and the receipt shall be presented in claiming the luggage. If the luggage has been claimed by others before such loss is reported, SDA shall not be held liable.Undelivered luggageIf any luggage is not claimed more than 90 days calculated from the day after it arrives, SDA may dispose of such luggage according to relevant provisions on undelivered luggage.Handling of abnormal luggage transportationIf unchecked luggage fails to arrive at the destination together with the passengers on account of SDA and such a case brings inconvenience to passengers’ travel life, SDA shall give each affected passenger RMB 100 as a compensation for temporary living goods.Luggage compensation1. SDA’s liability
A. SDA shall be liable for any delay in, loss of or damage to checked luggage within the period from check-in through delivery.
B. SDA may not be held liable if it proves that it has taken all necessary measures to or tried in vain to take any measure to prevent such delay, loss or damage.
C. SDA shall not be held liable if the loss of or damage to checked luggage is merely caused by natural quality, mass or defect of the luggage itself.
D. SDA shall not be held liable if the items contained in the luggage injuries the passenger or damages the luggage.
If any item contained in a passenger’s luggage inflicts wound to others or causes damage to others’ articles or SDA’s properties, the passenger shall indemnify SDA for any and all losses and all expenses thus incurred.Compensation limitsA. If the passenger’s checked luggage is damaged or lost in whole or in part, the compensation amount shall not exceed RMB 100 per kg. If the unit value of such luggage is lower than RMB 100 per kg, compensation shall be made according to actual value.
B. The weight of a passenger’s lost luggage shall be the weight of actually checked luggage. If the weight of lost luggage is unable to be defined, the compensation for such lost luggage shall not exceed the free luggage allowance enjoyed by the passenger.
C. For damaged luggage, SDA will make compensation based on the decreased value of the luggage or bear repair cost. If the luggage boot is damaged, the compensation amount shall not exceed RMB 100 per kg according to the deadweight of such luggage boot.
D. If the passenger’s lost luggage has its declared value, SDA shall compensate based on declared value. If the luggage’s declared value is higher than actual value, compensation shall be based on actual value.
E. If the loss of any passenger’s unchecked luggage and free carry-on items occurs during boarding or getting off the plane or is caused by any onboard event, the maximum compensation to be borne by SDA shall not exceed RMB 3,000 per passenger.
F. When the loss luggage is found after compensation has been made, SDA shall forthwith notify the passenger. The passenger may get his luggage back and refund all compensations without refunding the compensation for temporary living goods. If such passenger is found with any fraudulence, SDA shall have the right to recover all compensations.